February 13, 2012

Music Monday: Valentine's Day 2k12

One thing I really enjoy doing is making playlists of some of my favorite music surrounding various themes. I use Spotify for them which is a free app for download at Spotify.com. I thought I would try and share some of my musical finds and this week, I want to put the spotlight on my Valentine's Day playlist for 2012. I thought about most of the songs and while not all of them are the original versions, there is some reason why I love them. I will go through some of the highlights.

Ben - Glee Cast - This is a song that I always used to listen to on cassette tape (that's right people, I listened to music on cassette tapes) and would rewind it back and forth endlessly. The tape was originally either my brother's or my parents'. This is a song from a movie sequel to a psychological thriller named Willard but the song itself is about companionship and friendship which made it a no brainer for a Valentine's Day playlist. When Glee recently did their Michael Jackson episode, I almost cried when Kurt and Blaine sang this song mostly because I have such great memories of it and I was happy that they included music from all eras of Michael's career.

Falling Slowly - Glen Hansard and Marketa Irgova - I had first heard this song when Elenowen performed it during their blind audition on The Voice season one and the slow ballad as well as the lyrics just touched me to no end. I looked up the original (which is the version featured here) and fell in love all over again. It's from the movie Once which is about an Irish busker who falls in love with a Czech flower seller. A classic boy meets girl love story.

Don't Go Breakin' My Heart - Elton John and Kiki Dee - Do I really need to explain this?

If you want to listen to the rest of the playlist and you have Spotify just follow this link and let me know what you think. Are there any specific songs you would add? I tried to mix both old and new as well as originals and covers.

1 comment: