July 25, 2011

Fandom: Man v. Food Nation

So last night, it seems like someone was challenging Adam Richman to a one on one food eating contest on Twitter. I tweeted back to him because having met him, he is a very genuine person and his passion for food really shows through. Last night, I also wrote a rambling 3 page blog entry on notebook paper because my laptop is still inaccessable. Eventually, I laughed at myself because the thing was so rambling, I don't think I was making sense to anyone other than myself (hooray for writing things at 3AM).
I wanted to say something that needs to be said in some sort of public place. Man v. Food is not about out eating anyone. It's about showcasing the cities that each episode is taking place in. Also, if you read Adam's book Edible America you can see the rich culinary anthropology and experiences that Adam has had outside of the show. I thought I knew quite a bit about Cleveland, Ohio and some of it's food but I had no idea about many of the things he mentioned.

I wasn't originally a fan of Man v. Food. There, I said it. However after hearing that Adam was coming to town, I started really watching the show. It took me a while but I finally saw the first episode which was filmed in my hometown of Columbus, OH. I also found out that Adam and I share the same birthday just a few years apart. Couple that with a passion for food in the both of us and I was already in heaven.

I had already decided due to Adam's reaction in that episode to Schmidt's Sausage Haus' 8 oz. cream puffs, that I wanted to surprise him with one. I did and his eyes just lit up like a kid in a candy store. I think this was the start of an even longer fandom. Now I watch Man v. Food Nation every week and I tweet along with Adam's live tweets.

I am so proud to be a member of Man v. Food Nation because it shows our history through food which is something that everyone can relate to. It also shows that no matter how much he, or anyone eats, the competition is nothing but friendly. Everyone cheers him and whoever is attempting the challenge on. I would love to be on the show even if it's just to cheer someone else on. It ranks up there with being a part of an Extreme Makeover: Home Edition build (which I've just signed up for BTW). More to come on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment