August 5, 2011

Update: Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Day 1


                Okay so I thought I would write a little bit about my first day on set for Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. I can’t reveal anything much about the house or the family but I can talk about some of the projects I’ve worked on and I think this episode will be amazing. Another thing that I can tell you is that it is the Christmas episode so it will be airing in December for the holidays.
                Although I wasn’t able to get photos because we were in-between takes and waiting on the cameras, I did get to talk to Ty Pennington and he thanked me for coming out to volunteer. I also gave him my paper fan which he, in turn, gave to the family who is receiving the home makeover. Another thing that I can say is that this is a neighborhood that needed their help. The family is amazing and really deserving.
                One of the things I was able to participate in was filming for the volunteer parade. So keep an eye out as I repped silicone bracelets from my fave MLG teams Instinct, Triggers Down, and Final Boss. I was right at the front of most of the shots although I was behind some of the tall builders so you might only see my arms/hands which are fine by me. :D

                Another project I worked on for the first night was painting a prop for demolition. I have some photos which I will post of the item in progress but I don’t have any finished ones. I also don’t want to ruin the surprise of demolition because half the fun for me is to see how they stage the demolition. I was asked by Theresa to help oversee the project as she had to go off set. This afternoon, I also got a text from Chad saying that the prop looked great.



                I also e-mailed him a few photos from the first night. I’m not sure how they’ll be used but I am hoping one of them might get framed and placed in the home and some of the others used in a scrapbook for the family. One thing I am so happy about is the fact that everyone is being great about potentially letting me work on things remotely while I am on my trip to my cousin’s wedding in New York. I was so upset I would have to miss a lot of the build but I am so happy I can still make a difference in this home.
                I want to give a huge shout out and thank you to Theresa Hsu and Chad who are producers on the show. They were very supportive and amazing to work with. Also Anthony from ArtWorld was great and has many amazing stories from the fifteen episodes that he’s worked on.  I also loved joking with Danny about turning into She-Hulk and bending one of the barricades (I have photos of the bent barricade).


Despite some of the cattle herding which I expected for the filming sections, the crew is insanely nice and supportive of their volunteers. If you get a chance to make it out to volunteer on site and you’re there for some filming, understand that you may be standing in high heat for quite a few hours.
                Overall, my first experience has been utterly amazing. I won’t be able to make it back to volunteer until late Monday/early Tuesday but they’re already expecting me. I will try and update more then but I might have to take notes and then write the entries after the fact as I will probably be working my butt off at that time as they’ll be painting and loading in the house.
                I am so proud to be a part of this as it’s been a long time dream of mine to volunteer. I am so glad that the crew and the one cast members are the sweetest people I’ve worked with. I will try and keep you all updated on precisely when the episode airs. Like I said, I’m not sure if you’ll see my face but I am indeed there and on film.
                I hope to post most of my photos after the episode airs in December. I can update with some of my projects that they have me work on, just not too much else. I don’t have too many from yesterday either due to filming most of the afternoon. If you happen to be in the Central Ohio area, come out and volunteer with us. We’ll be doing this until next Thursday. You can sign up at http://www.joinextreme.com/ohio/.  Also keep an eye there for any opportunities to submit items.

No comments:

Post a Comment