June 17, 2011

Review: Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab - Violens

This was one of my first purchases from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. I purchased this from the Hero Initiative booth at Dragon*Con 2010. For those of you who are unaware, the Hero Initiative is a charity that assists for hire artists in the comic book industry with various medical bills. I have a friend who is being helped by them due to his ongoing battle with a rare form of Spinal Cancer.

With that out of the way, here is the description of the fragrance from Black Phoenix's site:
Scents based on the title characters from George Pérez andPeter David's groundbreaking comic book mini-series, 'Sachs and Violens'!

Part of Marvel's Heavy Hitters line, "Sachs and Violens" was a 4 issue comic book miniseries written by Peter David with art by George Pérez. The series was published by Marvel's Epic Comics imprint from 1993 to 1994.
George Pérez is one of the most popular and influential comic book artists currently working. He is best known for his work on Crisis on Infinite Earths, New Teen Titans, Wonder Woman, Superman, and the Avengers, and has most recently worked on DC's Final Crisis.
Peter David is an Eisner Award-winning Writer of Stuff, including epic runs with the Incredible Hulk, She-Hulk, Aquaman, and Spider Man.
Rugged and understated: five sandalwoods, dusty leather, and light musk.  
First of all, I want to note that when you are trying out new fragrances, always test them on yourself and see how they wear. Just because it smells one way on me doesn't mean it will on you due to body chemistry being different.

When I wear Violens the leather and musk come to the forefront. It reminds me of sitting in the corner with an old leatherbound book. It also evokes memories of what I think some things smell like in old pulp adventure stories. Indiana Jones' whip and leather jacket, as well as other similar items. These all bring about a sense of whimsy to me. I've also gotten compliments from other people around me when I wear it which makes me feel even better.

I love the packaging and label because I'm a huge comic book fan and even got to speak with George Perez a little after I bought it. He is a charming, wonderful man and very talented. I will definitely be buying more once I run out (IF I run out) and for a perfume oil, I don't mind paying the extra cash because it lasts me for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment